Containers removed from ship that crashed into key Baltimore bridge

Photo of author

By journalsofus.com


On Sunday, workers began removing containers from the giant cargo ship that remains trapped under the metal remains of Baltimore’s Key Bridge, nearly two weeks after the ship collided with the bridge and caused it to collapse.

The removal of the containers is a “critical step” in the process of removing the 985-foot-long ship, the Dali, from the Port of Baltimore and reopening its main channel, the Unified Command, a conglomerate of government agencies that oversee the bridge . response efforts, he said in a statement on Sunday. Workers will continue removing containers over the next few days, according to the statement.

The ship struck a critical component of the bridge, known as the pylon or pier, after it lost power while attempting to leave port on March 26. Six bridge workers died in the collapse.

The Dali was carrying 4,700 containers, according to Synergy Marine, its manager and operator, and was headed to Sri Lanka when it crashed. The removal of these containers will allow “safe access to then remove the Key Bridge pieces located along the bow of the ship,” after which the ship can be moved, according to the statement. While maritime traffic is still limited at the site, some vessels have been able to pass through alternative channels, according to the statement.

The statement did not specify exactly how long it would take to remove the containers and noted that other remains and debris are still being removed from the site.

Last week, the US military Announced that it hoped to open a limited access canal to the Port of Baltimore by the end of April, and said its goal was to fully reopen the canal by the end of May. On Sunday, Wes Moore, governor of Maryland, saying on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that the timeline was “aggressive” but achievable, and that officials would work tirelessly to meet it.

Leave a comment