WASHINGTON — A day after the former president’s lawyers donald trump asked a judge to hire special prosecutor Jack Smith in contempt for filing motions before the deadline, Smith’s team responded in a new court filing on Friday.
Smith’s office argued that they did not violate a court order by providing evidence ahead of deadlines, and that Trump’s “recycled accusations of partisanship and prosecutorial misconduct” remain baseless.
r of Chutkanuling to pause the process said that if his court continues with the case, it would consider whether to maintain or change the dates of future deadlines. He said the deadlines were temporarily suspended, “rather than being permanently vacated.”
Smith’s filing noted that three days before Chutkan issued his order suspending deadlines in the case, prosecutors informed all parties in a public filing that they would continue to voluntarily comply with previously established deadlines.
The prosecution, Smith’s office wrote in Friday’s memo, “did what it said it would do.”
Smith’s office went on to argue that no action is required on Trump’s part, and that he has not explained how “the mere receipt” of documents to which he does not have to respond “possibly burdens him.”
Smith’s office also explained that they plan to continue meeting previously established deadlines to make it easier to “resume the pretrial schedule” once the appeals court issues a decision.
The appeals court is scheduled to hear arguments next week. His eventual ruling could be appealed to the Supreme Court.
This article was originally published in NBCNews.com