Preston Lord murder suspect played in soccer game while under investigation

Photo of author

By journalsofus.com


GILBERT, AZ (AZ Family) — New information has emerged about one of the families at the center of the Preston Lord murder investigation and what the teen’s high school allowed.

Suspect Talan Renner played in a soccer game in November after the fatal beating of 16-year-old Preston Lord. at the end of October last year.

A statement Thursday confirmed that the American Leadership Academy knew that Renner was being questioned by police before the quarterfinal playoff game occurred.

Now, the school has clarified where that decision came from and why they fired the coach.

Renner, 17, was named “Player of the Game” in ALA Gilbert NorthThe 5A quarterfinal game on Nov. 17, 20 days after Lord was attacked outside a Halloween party in Queen Creek and a little more than a week after police served him with a search warrant in the investigation.

Renner is now one of seven suspects facing first-degree murder charges in Lord’s beating death.

The newly released police report says that after the assault, Renner bragged about killing Lord on Snapchat and showed his ALA football teammates the video of the attack, claiming he put Lord on “life support.”

ALA responded Thursday to harsh criticism over why they allowed Renner to play in that quarterfinal match. According to the police report, a search warrant was served on him at the school on November 6.

The school now said they were not told the content of that interview and were not aware of any search warrant.

They said police told them after the interview that Renner could return to class and resume school activities. He new ALA statement He claimed that the campus athletic department allowed Renner to play in that game and that the school administration was not involved in making that decision, something they now say they regret.

In January of this year, campus athletic director and football coach Randy Ricedorff was fired due to “practical and philosophical differences over this.”

Arizona’s family contacted Ricedorff on Thursday to ask his response to this new statement and what the decision to play Renner that night entailed, but we did not receive a call.

The Queen Creek police report says a lawyer told the Renners that Talan would “get off the hook” and stay out of trouble because of the number of children said to be involved.

Arizona’s family the Queen Creek police chief asked. about that earlier this week.

“I have a lot of confidence that the county attorney will take this to the end zone and really make a difference,” Chief Randy Brice said in response.

That Queen Creek police report also discussed the Renner family making a $10,000 donation to the ALA to prevent Talan from being defrocked.

In Thursday’s statement, ALA said they had never received or accepted a $10,000 donation, or any donation, from the renner family or any of his family businesses.

All of the suspects in Preston Lord’s murder, including Talan Renner, have pleaded not guilty to the charge of first-degree murder.

Do you see a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please click here to report it.

Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send to us here with a brief description.

Leave a comment