The twin who survived the Park Slope stabbing desperately tried to protect her sister after a drunk man followed and attacked her.

Photo of author



The twin sister of a 19-year-old girl who was stabbed to death outside a Brooklyn deli after she allegedly rejected a man’s advances has told how she tried to protect her brother when the drunk man became angry because she wouldn’t follow him on Instagram.

Sanyia Spain and her sister Samyia had taken a break from a family game night and were walking to Slope Natural Plus on Fourth Avenue in Park Slope with her brother around 2:20 a.m. Sunday when a friend pointed out that someone was following to Samyia. the surviving teen told the Daily News.

“I grabbed his phone and said, ‘Come with me, come with me,’” Sanyia said. “I was like, ‘Why are you talking to that guy?’ She said, ‘I don’t want to talk to that guy.'”

Samyia Spain died in the Park Slope stabbing. Facebook

Sanyia said that to get him off her back, Samyia decided to give her Instagram account to the man, whom relatives told The Post the girls met earlier that night at a local club.

“She said she wasn’t going to follow him,” he said. “That’s it. She said no.” At that point, he said, the man became enraged.

He began arguing with the two teenagers and stormed out of the warehouse, but returned a few minutes later, Sanyia said.

“He pushed little Samyia and then I pushed him,” she said. “And then everyone else started pushing him toward the door.”

A social media photo of Sanyia Spain, the Park Slope stabbing victim who survived the attack. Facebook

A store employee got involved and kicked the drunk man out of the store with his friends and closed the door behind them, according to Sanyia.

The twins then had their late-night snack and left the store, only to find the attacker armed with a knife and the cellar door locked behind them.

“He had a knife in his hand and said, ‘I’m going to stab all of you in the face,’” Sanyia said.

“I’m telling everyone to back off. And he pushed little Samyia to the ground.”

When the attacker began running towards Samyia with the knife in his hand, the girls’ older brother intervened, punching him and sending the man to the ground.

That’s when the situation escalated into an all-out fight, Sanyia said.

“How was I going to grab [Samyia’s phone]“He stabbed me in the arm,” he said.

“Samyia then asked him to give her phone back and he stabbed her in the neck.”

“She said, ‘I’m about to faint,’” Sanyia recalled. “As soon as she said ‘I’m about to pass out,’ I called 911.”

Police found Samyia with stab wounds to the chest and neck, and took both twins to New York’s Brooklyn-Presbyterian Methodist Hospital, where Samyia was later pronounced dead.

Meanwhile, Sanyia has already been discharged from the hospital.

He called his relatives after the attack.

“She says, ‘Grandpa, Samyia was stabbed and died,’” said the victims’ grandfather, 66-year-old Alphonso Goodson.

“I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “When I got the call, I came as soon as I could.”

Friends and family have set up a makeshift memorial in front of the twins’ home in Brooklyn.

Sanyia said she is now “trying to be strong” for her parents as she is still in shock.

According to employee Mohammed Albher, the two girls were regular customers of the winery.

“They used to come every day,” he said.

The stabbing scene outside the deli. CITIZEN

“They come, they shake my hand. Tell me how are you?

He was not working when the attack occurred early Sunday morning, but he said the murder left him distraught.

“I don’t want anyone to get hurt, no one, no one,” he said, “She’s a good girl.”

Samyia and Sania were born in Brooklyn and spent some time in North Carolina before returning to the Big Apple.

“They wanted to go back to the city because this is what they know,” the girls’ grandfather said. “It was too quiet down there.”

He described Samyia as “beautiful” and “very respectful.”

“My granddaughter was the best,” Goodson said. “I love you both and I’m sorry she’s leaving me now. What I can do?”

No arrests have yet been made over the cuts, as police continue to search for two men, one of whom was last seen wearing a balaclava.

“The store received the video,” Goodson said. “Someone knows, someone will come forward.”

Load more… them/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Copy URL to share

Leave a comment