Three Idaho correctional officers shot as suspect removes inmate from Boise hospital, police say

Photo of author


Three Idaho corrections officers were shot when a suspect staged a brazen attack to break an inmate out of a Boise hospital overnight.

BOISE, Idaho – Three correctional officers were shot, two by a suspect and one by responding police, during a brazen late-night attack to remove an inmate from an Idaho hospital, authorities said Wednesday.

Police across the region were searching for the alleged shooter, as well as escaped inmate Skylar Meade, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2017 for shooting a sheriff’s sergeant during a high-speed chase. Meade, 31, and the suspect fled in a gray four-door sedan, possibly a Honda Civic, with Idaho plates.

The attack occurred at 2:15 a.m. as Idaho Department of Corrections officers were preparing to take Meade back to prison from Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where he had been taken for undisclosed treatment. Meade had been incarcerated at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution in Kuna, about 12 miles (19 kilometers) south of Boise.

One officer shot by the suspect was in critical but stable condition, police said, while the second wounded officer had serious but non-life-threatening injuries. The third injured correctional officer also suffered non-life-threatening injuries when a responding officer, incorrectly believing the shooter was still in the emergency room and seeing an armed person near the entrance, opened fire.

“This brazen, violent and apparently coordinated attack on Idaho Department of Corrections staff, to facilitate the escape of a dangerous inmate, took place right in front of the Emergency Department, where people come for medical help, to often in the most extreme circumstances. “Boise Police Chief Ron Winegar said in a written statement.

The attack follows a wave of gun violence at hospitals and medical centers, which have struggled to adapt to the threats.

A Saint Alphonsus spokesperson said the shooting occurred in the ambulance bay next to its emergency department.

“All patients and staff are safe, the medical center campus is safe and secure and has resumed normal operations. The Emergency Department itself is currently under temporary closure while the Boise Police Department completes the investigation,” Leticia Ramirez said Wednesday morning in a statement.

He said that as an additional precaution, “we have increased security on campus, all entrances to the hospital will be closed” and will be monitored by hospital security until further notice.

Ramirez declined to comment when asked about Meade, deferring to the police department.

Leave a comment