Union members protested alleging additional cuts

Photo of author

By journalsofus.com


There are already tenuous relations between Condé Nast and the union, which represents more than 400 of its employees. Vanity Fair, the trend And gqAmidst other publications, it appears to be hanging by a thread.

On Wednesday afternoon, about 35 Conde union members marched to the offices of executives to protest additional layoffs they said were threatened during labor negotiations on Tuesday. During Tuesday’s bargaining session on the first contract, the company said it intended to add five more employees to its already existing staff list that is to be reduced and warned that the company would be forced to resign, according to the Condé union and May add more, which also represents workers in Condé. Nast Entertainment, Bon appetit, Allure, Architectural Digest, Conde Nast Traveler, Epicurious, Teen Vogue, Glamour And Self, (Some New Yorker Employees bargain in a separate union.)

The Conde union further alleged that the company made no counteroffers to the union’s requests from last week — for example, on remote work and paid leave — during Tuesday’s meeting on Zoom, which management apparently ended abruptly. .

Meanwhile, on Tuesday, Condé Nast filed unfair labor practice charges against the NewsGuild of New York, the Condé union’s lead labor organization, for “bad faith, superficial bargaining,” according to a company memo circulated to Condé union-related employees. According . The company’s reasons included that in the four months of bargaining “they [the union] “Yet the proposal for reductions in our workforce has not been seriously addressed,” Only one proposal related to layoffs was made in December that called for a minimum of seven months of severance and COBRA for affected employees and was originally Only 28 cuts were requested instead of the proposed 94.

“We have also informed the union that we will begin proposing cost savings measures to offset continued payroll costs that are not in our 2024 budget,” the memo said. “Despite our best efforts to avoid this, the union’s delays have left us with no choice but to find these cost savings. Today we told the union that we will be adding additional roles to the proposed cuts list.

In a statement, NewsGuild of New York President Susan DeCarava called the allegation “a blatant attempt to force us to listen to them.” [management’s] Retrenchment plan.” He added, “As we have been throughout the negotiations, we are ready to bargain when management wants to stop the theatrics and bargain in good faith.”

The new layoffs were proposed about two weeks after Axios reported that Condé Nast CEO Roger Lynch said the company “does not plan to make any further cuts,” which has upset the union and its members. Lynch first announced that the company intended to lay off five percent of its workforce on November 1, and the Conde union has been bargaining for those cuts ever since. Earlier Tuesday, the company told the union it was tracking 94 union members, or 20 percent of the Conde union. “What happened on Tuesday was a blatant display of the management playing with people’s livelihood.” Vanity Fair social media manager Mark Alan Berger said in a statement. “This is absolutely unacceptable and we are showing that today.”

According to Vanity Fair Staff writer and store manager Erin Vanderhoof, who joined Wednesday’s protest, said neither Lynch nor chief content officer and global editorial director Anna Wintour were present in the offices during the demonstration. The management gathered in a room during the workers’ demonstration. “I can’t tell you where those five jobs are coming from or even if it’s only five because it was unclear, but I can tell you that some of the people already on the list are helping Condé Nast weather the storm. are very fundamental to helping usher in the whole digital media decade,” she said.

Employees who are on the layoff list have been told they are being reassigned to a group separate from their previous brands, which is being called a “central content unit,” according to a person familiar with the matter. Although the exact work the CCU will do is not yet known — employees are scheduled to receive their assignments Monday, March 25 — the group will report to Chris DiPreso, vice president of content finance and operations.

The Conde union and management are bargaining over a union contract through September 2022. Relations between those two parties have been contentious since the November 1 layoff announcement, with the NewsGuild of New York (Conde Union’s parent union) filing a preliminary unfair labor practice filing. The allegations against the company in January led to a walkout on January 23, the day the nominations for the 96th Academy Awards were announced – a major news day for titles such as Vanity Fair, The NLRB has not yet ruled on NewsGuild’s unfair labor practice charge.

The parties are scheduled to return to talks on Thursday.

Additional reporting by Lachlan Cartwright.

Leave a comment